- You need moisture when you breed them (which comes from bread, carrot and potato) and something for them to hide under (like toilet rolls.)
- They use oats to cover the bottom of the containers.
- It doesn't take that long for a mealworm to hatch.
- Mealworms start as larvae, and then they become a cocoon that hatches into a mealworm and that hatches into a beetle. That's if Sid doesn't eat the mealworms first!
- It's good to have three containers or drawers. You keep the different types in different draws or containers because otherwise the older ones eat the younger ones!!!!
By the time we got back onto TradeMe the breeding beetles had been sold to someone else but we're going to keep looking so we can get some ourselves. This is what the auction looked like. If you notice more could you please let us know by leaving a comment below.