Tuesday 7 February 2012

The pupa have transformed into BEETLES!

Hi everyone, it's Ben and Tobias here.

We arrived back at school today and we checked the mealworms (which had been living with Miss H). We saw over 100 beetles! We also gathered around 20 pupa that are going to turn into beetles.


We were excited to finally see some beetles and were extremely surprised about the number of beetles!


When the beetles are first born, they are a light colour and then they turn brown before turning black. We noticed that the beetles like to hide in the dark places - the egg cartons make great homes for them, where they like to live in big groups.

We have to be careful because if we leave the pupa or beetles in with the lavae, because they might eat them!

The next step in the process is the reproduction. Soon they will lay eggs (they might have already because they're so small we can't see them!) and they'll turn into baby mealworms for us to feed our bearded dragon, Sid.



Thanks for reading - we'll tell you more soon.

Tobias and Ben

11 comments:

  1. ohh they look awsome we have chickens in our school as our school pets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is Shannon I am from St.Lukes we have two chickens called Poppy and Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I'm from st.lukes school. We have chickens as our school pets. I hope you write to me soon. If you look on our blogging site you will find me under welbeck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shazan Yr 5 Miriam Lord Bradford9 February 2012 at 03:38

    Hello my name is shazan and I am a good leaner at my school my favourite subject is swimming because I am the best swimmer in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umar Year 5 Miriam Lord School9 February 2012 at 03:40

    Hi i am from Miriam Lord Community Primary school. What did you feed the beetles that had just hatched? Did you feed them the same food as the adult beetles or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi i'm Hussain from Miriam Lord.Oooh beetles make me squirm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awais miriam lord yr 59 February 2012 at 03:42

    Hello I go to miriam lord in England,how old are those beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah 2JH Miriam Lord10 February 2012 at 02:31

    Ithink it is very intresting of the Beetals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Khush Bakht Miriam Lord10 February 2012 at 02:32

    How old are the beatles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the comments guys and there about 4 months old

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi hub3,
    These are cool beetles.I have two questions for use
    1.Where did yous get them from?
    2.Are they in your hub or are they at the pet store?
    Anyway these are cool I hope I could come upstairs so I could see them.
    From Anthia Stonefields School

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.